Sunday, December 7, 2008

Zoo

Now I realize it is almost 2 months late, however, I have been crammed with a million things to do, so here it is anyway!

Brad and I took of the Monday after my birthday and took a trip to the Ft. Worth zoo. I had been telling Brad that the Ft. Worth zoo is by far better than Dallas. He hadn't been there, at least he didn't think so, and that's where I went all of my childhood! I think I proved him wrong! (That's always a nice feeling!) Here are a few highlights of the wonderful Ft. Worth Zoo!


1. The Primate Center is by far much better! They have an entire open area outside and inside, so since it was a little chilly, we still got to see all of the animals play and eat! First were the huge gorillas in the center. They were just chilling, but it was so fun to see them just sit there! I am so intrigued by these animals!

Then came the chimpanzees! This was so awesome! There was this little guy that was watching everyone. Then all of a sudden he takes this thing of cardboard and goes in a little hole where we couldn't see him.Then all of a sudden.........he comes sliding across the floor on the cardboard like he's surfing! He kept doing it and would slide up onto the window on the right and would sit there! He was so funny! :)

They also had this enormous gorilla that must not be very nice because he was in a little enclosure by himself, but we got a fun picture with him!

2. Big Mammals

They have quite an assortment of large mammals. The coolest thing is that you can get so close! They had 5 or 6 very large Asian elephants that stood right in front of us for a long time. It was evident as the day went on that it was feeding time so we got to see everyone be very active!

And for some reason, Brad loves hippos, so he was thrilled to get to see these MASSIVE creatures!I think Brad later made them a little upset!3. Wild Cats

Now as you've seen previously, we are very fortunate to get to see tigers and other wild cats, but Ft. Worth did a good job of making a great exhibit for them. There was a beautiful white tiger that would come up and interact with you.

They had a few tigers, but it wasn't quite the same as InSync. We kind of passed through there quickly and didn't pay much attention.

After getting through the tigers, we came upon the most amazing thing at the zoo. First we saw a beautiful male lion that was just walking, talking, and looking.



As we continued, we found the female lion. And as amazing as it was, she had 4 of the cutest cubs ever! :)




We later went back at the end of our visit and saw them playing!

She had enough of the playing and went down into the ditch and went to the bathroom. During all of this, the daddy started roaring and talking. It was so big and scary.


4. Penguins



Dallas and Ft. Worth just recently opened a new African penguin exhibit. They aren't the cold, snowy penguins, but just more water guys. They are very little, but cute little boogers!



One of the little guys kept following me...5. Grandy's



They have a Grandy's in the zoo....what else can I say?



6. Black Bears



Ft. Worth has a TX section where they have animals that are native to different areas of Texas. They had a really cool section on Black bears. There was a little log sticking out of the window, and sure enough, it was open to the area where the bears are. There were a couple of metal barriers, but kids could go in the log and be about a foot away from the bears. It was so cool.


While we were standing there, the two bears were fighting and being very dominant about this little log.

Overall, the visit was wonderful! Ft. Worth had a lot of exhibits and a large selection of animals to see. I love seeing the animals, and it was great that it was cooler and the animals were so active!

1 comment:

Nikelle said...

I love the Ft. Worth Zoo. I want to go see the Penguins, they look so cute!