So, if you've ever been to our house, or even seen pictures of our house, you know that the backyard is VERY large, but unfortunately has been a blank canvas. The only reason I say unfortunately, is that I want LOTS of stuff back there, but can't afford to make everything I want! If I had previous messes to work with, it wouldn't cost so much (most likely) but, I have nothing! So, we've done a little bit of work!
Back in the fall we planted 2 Maple trees. Of course the tag said they are fast growing, but, honestly, I haven't seen a bit of change in them. They do have a few more leaves than when we got them (but that was in the fall when the leaves are supposed to fall off...) but overall, the height and girth are the same. I guess I just expected them to bust out of their little cages and grow really tall when it was spring time. We'll just have to see how long it'll be before we have a shade tree, or two, in the yard!
I've also been wanting a flower bed, well, several of them. During my spring break in March, I actually started a project that I was determined to finish on my own. Then I started the project....and shortly realized I was not fit for the job. So, finally it's done! (After some much needed help from my wonderful husband who sweat a lot to get it just the way I wanted!) I built a flower bed underneath our bedroom windows next to the patio in the back yard. I am so excited and thrilled to finally have an oasis out in the back yard. (I guess my oasis is a little different from most.). And yes, I built the flowerbed! Brad helped out with the digging of the sod, but I laid each brick into it's shape! Brad helped out with cutting a few of the bricks for the edges, but overall, I would say it was my project. Here are a few starting images.

We actually had to dig up the sod that was already there and build the retaining wall and buy dirt to fill it. What a chore. I'm glad I have a buff husband that can carry in 25 bags of dirt and mulch!
The whole project was primarily designed by me and imagined by me. Since Brad is such a wonderful husband, he agreed with what I envisioned!
TADA!!
I have a big waxy bush (I don't know what they're called, but we have them in our front yard as well) in the middle of each crescent, with 2 dwarf nandinas in front. (These should turn red in the fall.) I also have 2 Purple diamonds on either side of the waxy bush. I transplanted some liropie from the front yard around the tree to kind of edge off the bricks, but I haven't been successful with transplanting yet, so we'll see how they do! We also moved the bird bath from the front flower bed to the back, and eventually, on another pay check, I'll get some pretty flowers to go around the bird bath to add a little more color! I'm very excited about all of these plants, because year round I should have some beautiful color! And, all of the tags said they were low maintenance!!! That is always a plus for me!


I plan to buy some big colored pots to put on either side of the porch to help add some color to the yard. Then maybe they will match the new seat cushions I will get soon too! :)
Hopefully my next projects will be along the fence line on either side of the house (right now they are Baylee's favorite spots to dig....so I don't know how it will work!) I also hope for a nice deck soon. I will just keep imagining! This project only took a year to finally get done!











No comments:
Post a Comment