Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Work

I have been really down at work recently. I'm not sure what has been the problem. I've noticed this year that I've been tired and that I have had a little bit of a lack of motivation that has to do with anything more than the expected. Of the other 2 years I've taught, this has never happened and I have always been able to say that I love my job.

For some reason, it changed. I didn't realize it though. Last week I took my 2nd graders to a field trip to go see "The Frog Prince". Every year, the 2nd grade goes to see this puppet show. It's cute...the first time. Either way, it's nice to have a little bit of a different schedule in the day. We get to the auditorium and there are a few other music teachers I know and respect already there. And then it begins...one of the other schools starts these little cheers and songs while they are sitting and waiting. My kids are going crazy. They don't know them, and they want to learn them. (There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn more music right?!) But then it hit me....I'm not having fun. I also went back and started reading emails from other colleagues about all of the fun Halloween activities they were doing. I had planned none. I like Halloween, but I have never been one to incorporate it much into my teaching. I've done a few pumpkin songs, but that's really about it. Then, I fell apart. I cried. I sent an email out to my mentor just letting her know what was going on. She gave me the best advice she could. "It is such a great thing that you are in this place. Now you can look around and see what other opportunities you have to teach."

Now, after the fact, I realize what the problem was. I had gone on auto pilot. I was copying lesson plans from years past. I was doing what just came natural to me, as opposed with creating something different. My brain had not been challenged. My skills had not been challenged. It was becoming monotonous. No wonder I'm tired. I was doing the same thing everyday. Wake up, deal with kids, go home, deal with husband. I am a creative being. I am a person that needs challenges and to be over worked. (Yes, I NEED to be overworked, that's when I do my best.) So, I emailed my mentor, looked through my summer notebooks, and decided to try some things that I said my kids would not enjoy. And you know what? I have had a blast! And on top of that, my kids are leaving my classroom telling the next class how much fun it was!!!!!!

I needed this. My kids needed this. We will see how this goes! Curriculum....you're going on the back burner for a while! :)

1 comment:

Jamie said...

yay Leah! it's so easy to get stuck in a rut...congrats for plowing your way out!