Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Back and Looking Forward

I can't even begin to believe that it's already 2010! I remember when it was 2000 and everyone was freaked out about Y2K. When I think about everything that happened this decade, it's been a lot. Almost everything that I remember vividly happened this decade. 9-11, Katrina, Killing Saddam Hussein, death of Michael Jackson, Pluto cut from planets, etc. It's been a busy decade.

On a personal note, the 2000s have brought major events in my life. In 2000, I was a sophomore in high school! I believe that one does the most growing in the time from when they are 15-25. That's when this decade occurred. Every major event that has happened in my personal life has happened in the last 10 years. Graduated high school. Fell in love. Got my heart broken. Went to college. Graduated college. Got engaged. Got married. Bought a house. Got a dog. Got my first "real" job. Now, I guess I'm just waiting on having kids! (One day, but I guess that will be in the next decade!)

2009 has been an interesting year. There have been so many ups and downs. When I look back on my life this past year, nothing major happened. But this year has flown by. Brad was on a full-force search for a police job for 5 months. I started my Masters degree over the summer. Brad got a new job. Brad's hours changed and I dealt with how to cater to his new career. I hit some lows at work with my motivation, but then quickly jumped back to make my job better than before.

None of these things are "major" things. But what I see most, is growth. I have become a stronger woman. I have learned how to sleep in my bed by myself and not be scared to death. I have learned to be flexible. I have learned to enjoy fun times on my own. I have learned to be a more supportive wife. I have learned that I can't always trust myself, but I have to trust God. I have learned that marriage can be difficult. I have learned that I can't control everything. I have learned that I am somewhat athletic, I just have high expectations. I have learned that I have an amazingly supportive family. I have learned that I can overload myself. I have learned that God has put amazing friends in my life for a reason. I have learned that I am very blessed to be where I am. I have learned that I have a job that sometimes I take for granted. I have learned that there are A LOT of things I can't do without God. I learned that I have failed God many times, and still do.

I don't want any of these things to ever stop. I'm still learning. But I think this year was a year of recognizing things. The first step is admitting. Step one is completed. Now, it's on to the other steps. I have to continue with all of these findings to make it better. So, for my goals (or resolutions as some like to call them) for 2010, they are simple, and seem to be the same as the last few years.
  1. Exercise more and get in shape
  2. Develop a stronger relationship with the Lord
  3. Blog at least once a week
  4. Be more flexible and understanding
  5. Love my husband more.

We have a very different year ahead of us. Brad leaves in 10 days for Police Academy. He will be gone Mon-Fri each week in Austin. He will come home each weekend that he can. We have done long distance before, but it wasn't fun! I enjoy him being around. I'm not too worried about it, there's just a lot of safety concerns for the whole thing. He will be driving 4 hours one way. I will not have my body guard with me. (Baylee will have to do for now.) Life will be different. I'm ready for the challenge. I know God will not give me more than I can handle. I hope to be a better wife. I hope that I can be brought to my knees by God everyday so that I can be brought closer to Him.

It will be an exciting time. I'm ready for it!

Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Jere and Cara said...

IT's hard when you work two different schedules isn't it? Jere and I did the back and forth thing for a while when he lived in Houston, but now hes going to be gone with work like Monday-Thursday... gonna be rough!