Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cancer

Through my family's new hurdle, I have come to find out that there are 2 types of cancer out there. The actual medical kind, and the attitude kind.

The first kind is simple to describe. It is something that people are diagnosed with. It is something that can be terminal, but also can just be a bump in the road. I have been around many people with both types. My family has been exposed to a lot of cancer in life: all types, and all stages. My mom has been diagnosed with this cancer. My mom is facing breast cancer. She is battling it and staying strong. She has a world of support to help her. She has so many people praying for her. She WILL get through this. The doctors do not feel this is terminal, but have optimistic expectations. It's not easy. But, she can do this. We can do this.

The second kind of cancer is a little less talked about. I looked up "cancer" in the dictionary, and after the medical description it says: "any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively". This is the kind of cancer that has affected me so much in this last month.

I understand sympathy. I understand empathy. I understand trying to help and assist in the situation. However, there is a difference between all of these things and someone who is being destructive to our morale and spirits.

Just because it's cancer doesn't mean that we have to be pessimistic about it. Just because it's cancer doesn't mean we have to grieve. And what people don't know is that it's hard to stay optimistic all of the time. It's hard to be strong. And the more I hear people say, "I'm so sorry", it makes it even harder.

God has a plan. God will get my mom, and my family, through this in His time. God knows what will happen. What we all need to do is praise the Lord through this and know that God is handling it. God is taking care of it. He knows the doctors she is using, He knows what treatment she will take, and He knows that she will come out on the other side. God will take care of my mom. God will take care of my family. God is in control.

"He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:3

"In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?" Psalm 56:4

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation." Isaiah 12:2

My mom is one of the strongest women I know. This is her second battle with cancer, but the attitude of cancer is not there. This may slow her down, but this is not taking her out of the race.

God is in control. We pray for healing. We pray for wisdom with the doctors. We pray for support and friends that will continue to encourage.

1 comment:

Jay E. said...

Don't forget the Tropic of Cancer. And the astrological sign (and constellation) of Cancer. Lots of types of cancer out there, none good :)