Sunday, September 28, 2008

Breaking Ground

Somehow I was able to finagle Brad to plant the fall plants today after church! What's even better is that it was during the Cowboys' game! (He's watching the recording as we speak) While we were at Lowe's we decided to get the mums that I wanted to put in the front flower bed, but they were out of the pansies I wanted. I think it turned out better than it would have been because of this. I'm not much of a planter, but I think this turned out really nicely. Here's the before and afters of the front planters.

This is after I pulled out all of the old flowers.


Here are the old flowers.



And the first installment of mums. (There areyellow and maroon ones alternating)



Here's the final product. I actually went back and got a few large planters of pansies and put them on the sides. I also got some mulch to finish up the bed.



I also put mulch and some mums around the tree.




Brad and I had also been talking about getting a tree for our backyard because it is as bare as bare gets.



Brad is starting the holes which he thought would take forever, but luckily didn't take long at all!



After talking to my mom and finding out what would be the fastest growing tree, we decided on 2 different types of Maple trees that are fast growing and will turn beautiful colors in the fall. They are little twigs now, but much better than the bare nothing!


Here's Zacchhaeus the little Silver Maple.

Here's Mariah the Red Maple


You will also notice the beautiful fences around the trees. We were going for the very classy look to enhance the trees' beauty. Seriously, Baylee has had some previous experiences showing us that she likes to eat tree branches, so we have put up barriers around the trees to make sure these little guys make it through Baylee's destructiveness.

I'll probably be sore tomorrow, but you know, I need to do it while it's on my mind! It's all worth it!

3 comments:

Sarah Sherman said...

I'm so impressed with your yardwork. We have been saying that we needed to get trees for our back yard since we moved here almost 4 years ago.

Amanda McD said...

pretty!

Amanda McD said...

I tagged you! Check out my blog to see what you have to do...and you have to fill it out! If I did...you all do!