Monday, September 7, 2009

The Journey Begins

Brad and I have decided to take on the task of P90X for the next 90 days. If you have not heard of this workout regimen, I suggest you check it out if you're interested in losing weight and/or getting tone. It's tough, hardcore, can induce vomiting, and can bring tears. But, if you see the before and after pictures, it sure seems like it's worth it. It is pretty pricey, but we were lucky enough to buy the real deal on Craigslist for half price.

On top of the workout regimen, it comes with a nutrition guide. This guide has meals and proportions broken down by different ranges of calorie burn stuff. There are 2 separate options with the meals. You can either eat the meals and recipes provided in the book, or do a proportion approach where it lists different foods in categories and tells you how many of those categories you can have on a daily basis. I personally liked the idea of having a menu given to me for all 3 meals of the day and all that was necessary was to buy the groceries.

First day: Salmon. Oh boy. I don't like fish, I never have, but now I have to eat 6 oz of it. Oh dear. On top of the salmon with a lemon dill sauce (or juice), it asked for a cup of red pepper soup with protein powder in it, asparagus, and wild rice. It is SO much food. I don't know how I'm going to be able to eat it all. But, the nutrition guide, through all of its typos (the first page says "about the Nutrition Dite Plan" just to give you an idea), keeps saying that it's a different type of diet geared towards the type of workout you do.

Most of the recipes require lots of food and lots of cooking. There are not many "already prepared" options that are on the approved list, so I decided to spend most of the evening today pre-cooking what I could. I will also have to prepare breakfast everyday, and also make an all new meal for lunch instead of having left-overs.

I will have to get used to all of the cooking, on top of working out and being sore. I know tomorrow will be brutal after the killer workout of my chest, back, and shoulders. Oh dear...and it's only day 1!!

Good thing though: Brad and I have, literally, the same schedule for the next 2 weeks!! Yah! We are both scheduled for 7:30-3:30 because of his guard training. Yippee! He will definitely be my encouragement to work out and not cheat on this hard-core diet. When I have some comparison pictures, I'll post them, but I'm not about to post the pictures to show how I look right now...I'll keep you posted on our workout progress.

3 comments:

Jay E. said...

Working out and eating salmon? Is this the same Leah I grew up with?!

Anonymous said...

Hubs is on day 40 and the progress is awesome! I fell off the bandwagon after getting sick and never got back on. The cooking takes so much time!! It's not like throwing a frozen piza in the oven! And yes, it is so much food!!! Hubs and I both gagged our first day, trying to get it all down. Good luck!!

Meadowlark said...

Seconding copswife. It TOTALLY works. We did two cycles.

Guess who sprained her ankle and never re-started. :(

Enjoy!