Monday, April 12, 2010

Poor Squirrel

*not the actual squirrel that was affected by the tragedy that occurred
I don't understand squirrels. Not at all. You'd think that by the time all of their friends had disappeared after trying to cross the road, that they would understand that you can't just jump out in the middle when a big moving object is coming their way. Bad things will happen.
This was the scenario yesterday before church. I was slowing down in front of the light at church yesterday morning. I was driving since we were in my new vehicle. I see a little brown object pop out in front of me. I didn't feel anything, but I just wanted to see if whatever it was that I saw was okay. And I look in the mirror, and sure enough, it's a squirrel. I ran over the back half of him, and his poor little front legs were trying to scoot the rest of his body across the street, with no luck. The squirrel was in pain. I turned to Brad to let him know of the events, and of course he sensed my uneasiness about the situation.
"It's okay, it's just a squirrel.........You're not going to cry are you?"
"OF COURSE I'M GOING TO CRY!"
"Leah, it's okay. It's just a squirrel."
"But it's still alive. It's in pain. I killed a squirrel. I killed a squirrel."
I'm sobbing, Brad is laughing. He thinks it's stupid that I'm crying.
Eventually, after we parked, I cleared up and got out of the car.
Brad says to me, "Murderer..."
I glare.
"Too soon????"
That little punk.
I thought about the squirrel all through church. I almost brought him up during prayer requests in Sunday School. I didn't though.
I drove through the same intersection today and looked for him, but he wasn't there.
I hope the squirrel understood that I didn't want that to happen and that I really was genuinely hurt that I killed him (or at least paralyzed him for life and put him in so much pain that he would wish he were dead).
I wish squirrels weren't so stupid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Leah,

Don't ever lose your sensitive heart for God's creation for it states in Romans 8:19-21 "For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay." (NLT)
Thank you for your encouraging words to our Sarah....I am "Mom Lien" from sarahshope.
Blessings to you, Bonnie Lien