As many of you know, I am currently suffering with PCOS. Some days it consumes my life and thoughts, other days aren't too bad. I try to keep my head up and know that it's just a diagnosis, not a death threat. This disease wouldn't be so bad either if I wasn't planning on getting pregnant within the year, but since we hope to, things change a little bit. (Women not trying to conceive usually just take birth control pills to put a "band-aid" on all of the problems and balance out hormones.)
I was diagnosed back in January, so I've been trying out this wonderful treatment of Metformin that my OB/GYN put me on. Supposedly, this medicine alone could possibly fix all of my problems and the job is done. However, the chances are very slim. Most results are said to be seen within 60-90 days. I'm now going on about 150 days and still see no hormonal results. The plus is that it reduces my sweet cravings, and I've lost about 9 pounds without even trying. I mean, I can't complain about that! Every little bit helps. (and I don't have TOO much to lose before being at my ideal place anyway!)
Anyway, I have a wonderful OB/GYN whom I adore and have complete faith in (Dr. M). She seems to be very knowledgeable and I feel that she has my best interest in mind with her diagnosis and treatment. However, Thursday I went and saw a friend of mine and she was asking how things were going. I have kept my spirits up and try not to show my frustration with it, but she could obviously see I wasn't really happy with my treatment results thus far. So she simply asked if I had gotten a second opinion yet. I didn't, just because of my loyalty to Dr. M.
Later in the day at Bible Study, a friend of mine who was just recently diagnosed with PCOS was talking about what her Dr. had explained to her. Her doctor told her she needed to go see an Endocrinologist about any further treatments. So she asked if I had seen one or if I had plans to see one. This, my friend, seems to be a hint to me. 2 times in one day? How often does that happen?
I have read in my books that I have gone through about PCOS that you CAN go to a reproductive Endocrinologist for treatment and that they would probably have the best information for the disease since it is a hormonal issue and that's what they specialize in!
So, I started asking around a few other people that I know have the disease and they all recommended going to an RE sooner than later (some doctors don't send you to one until you've been officially trying to get pregnant for a year or until the treatment they are allowed to prescribe is unsuccessful.)
I give in. I contacted several doctors in the area and looked at resumes and vitals.com reviews and I found a couple that I was toying with. Then, I found one that was the medical expert writer for a BOOK on PCOS!!!! Holy Cow! He must know this stuff! So, I made an appointment. It can't hurt. We may not get really serious about the expensive treatments until my insurance changes (since I signed up for the free stuff this year not planning for all of this greatness to occur) but I think Dr. G (the RE) has some knowledge and experience that he might be able to share. So, Thursday, I will go and talk to him and hope that he has some positive insight on what I'm going through and how he can help.
This may be a small hint from the Lord, but I really feel that these small hints are just the everyday ways of how He works in our lives. He may be teaching me a lesson right now on how I can't plan everything, but if He wants to help me through this little lesson, I'll listen!
Monday, June 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











No comments:
Post a Comment