Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh Parenthood...

We have been experiencing a very fussy baby these last few days.  Earlier, I had been noticing that Blake was not taking his bottle well.  He was pushing it out of his mouth all of the time and was having very painful gas.  He would be fine and then just scream bloody murder.  Once he burped or farted, he was fine.  I had to keep telling people he farted more than any other baby I knew.  So, I decided that we needed to talk to Dr. B about this.  Blake is formula fed exclusively now, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.  We were just using Sim.i.lac Advanced and so I mentioned that maybe we could change to the sensitive formula.

Dr. B said we should give that a try for a week and see if it helped.  And oh my goodness, this baby takes the bottle SO much better.  We can go several ounces at a time before he needs to burp.  His burps come out within a minute or so.  We don't have screaming fits while trying to burp.  We still have farting, but nothing like it used to be.

However, it has caused some other issues.

Blake was a regular pooper.  He had a poopy diaper at least once a day (usually at the 4 or 6:30 feeding).  And usually his poopy diapers were multiple diaper type affairs.  He'd fill one up, get clean, and then fill another.  Friday was normal.  Saturday, nothing.  Sunday, a pellet.  Sunday night, a "formed" lump.  Blake seemed fussy, and you could tell he was trying to push it out.  It just didn't happen.  I called the after hours nurse.  She said at his age, there's nothing we can do to help him pass it.  He's too young.  But she wanted me to check with Dr. B in the morning to see what he thought we could do to change up his eating.    And she just told me to go to the emergency room if he was inconsolable for 2 hours. 2 HOURS.  Luckily, we were able to give him a bath and get him relaxed enough to go to bed and sleep for most of the night.

Sure enough, Monday morning he had a regular poopy diaper.  I have never been so excited to see yellow poop in a diaper!!!!  So, the nurse just said to watch it.  He actually had 3 poopy diapers Monday.  The nurse just thought it was the formula change and he had passed it. 

This morning, a very small poopy diaper.  And then this afternoon, another formed lump.  And another later that evening.  UGH! 

Blake doesn't seem as uncomfortable, but it's only been a day.  Dr. B still hasn't called back after I talked to the nurse in the afternoon, so I'm not really sure what we're going to do. 

It is so heartbreaking to have him go through this and be able to do NOTHING.  We just have to let him cry and let his body work it out.  I know how it feels.  I was constipated almost my entire pregnancy with him (mostly due to the side effect of Zo.phran).  I was almost in tears for him Sunday night.

Prayers that we can get this fixed VERY soon.  I can't stand to see my little man going through this.

1 comment:

~Rebekah~ said...

Oh how I feel for you! We have been going through this with Amelia only it's been with my breastmilk! Amelia has the SAME gas issues and she never had a whole lot of poopy. In fact, it'd be awhile and it would be formed and very painful for her. She screamed lying down and screamed with gas, screamed while trying to burp her. It's been a living hell.

Turns out she's had reflux issues along with gas. She's been on Axid which is working to heal her esophagus and she's now exclusively on Enfamil "Neutramogen" formula which is predigested and helps her to get it down, keep it down and gives her less gas. A friend recommended the AR brand but it has rice in it and isn't predigested. Since using the Neutramogen along with Dr. Brown's bottles with the inserts so gas is less likely to pass through when they drink, she's been a totally new and happy baby!

I pray your little guy gets better soon.

Rebekah
brokenheartmendedfences.blogspot.com