Monday, September 28, 2009

P90X Review (so far)

I posted a few weeks ago about our new workout regimen that Brad and I started. If any of you have ever watched Fox Sports Southwest, I'm sure you are well aware of the P90X program because of all of the glorious infomercials that regularly occur. But, if you don't have any idea what P90X is, I can somewhat sum it up for you. It's almost like a Jr. boot camp without the guy yelling in your face. But, I do have to say, I am somewhat impressed with me and my abilities through this program.

P90X is designed in 3 phases. Each phase is approximately 4 weeks. Each day you do a series of workouts designed to focus on one certain aspect. The first phase looks like this:
Day 1: chest and back(pull-ups and push ups mostly) along with abs
Day 2: Plyometrics (jumping around)
Day 3: shoulders and arms (more pull ups and such) along with abs
Day 4: Yoga
Day 5: Legs and back (lots of squats and lunges) along with abs
Day 6: Kenpo (punching and kicking)
Day 7: rest (or stretch)

For the past 3 weeks, Brad and I have been working out at least an hour a day to this routine. How I've been able to stick to it for so long, no idea, but I am. I started modifying everything, but I am now to the point where I'm using the pull-up bar and trying things more without giving up first. I am hopeful to start seeing results soon, but I can't SEE anything yet. I do feel better and am able to do more than I did the first week, so that's progress. I will start to get discouraged soon, I'm sure, if I don't see anything soon though. Brad on the other hand is different - but he's a guy so that's not fair.

The other part of this thing is the diet. I hate it. It's hard to have the self-control to eat only the things it suggests. It's expensive. (Thank goodness for Brad's overtime recently to be able to support this diet thing). Brad hates the diet as well. He's not very good at sticking to it, even though he has turned down donuts (he is a cop ya know), fried chicken, and Chipotle. The food has to be so bland though.

So overall - pros and cons:

Pros:
1. It's an exciting workout most of the time, but it changes everyday so that makes it a little more interesting each time (I love Kenpo!)
2. It has been proven by people that it works
3. Tony Horton is a little annoying, but he does give you the tips you need to hear when you need to hear them (even though it's a DVD)
4. It pushes you to do more

Cons:
1. It takes at least an hour a day
2. The diet sucks and I have to cook everything (I feel like I'm in the kitchen for hours)
3. It's expensive (not only to buy, even though we got it on Craigs List, but also to follow its recommendations)
4. There are cheesy things that stick in your head all day ("Do your best, and forget the rest")
5. It's hard (especially Yoga...I was not made for that stuff)

So, in conclusion, there are more cons than pros, but in my mind, at the end of day 22, it's worth it.

We are in "recovery week" this week, so things slow down a little bit, but it's still rough. Brad will still be around in the evenings for the next 2 weeks so that will also help keep me accountable to the exercising.

2 comments:

Jay E. said...

They were doing this at the gym today:
"Superman! Banana! SUPERMAN! BANANA! SupermanBananaSupermanBananaSupermanBanana, STOP"

Crazy people...

KD said...

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts on the program. I'm wondering about getting it to do w/ my DH. Not the best time to start with November and December holiday time ocming, but .... well, if not now, when?!?! ;)