Monday, December 21, 2009

11 hours later...

We're always looking for new things to do with our house. We have a beautiful home, but Brad and I seem to always find a new way to "upgrade" it. We really enjoy doing projects ourselves rather than having it done. Sometimes the projects turn out better than others, but they usually consist of several hours and trips to the home improvement store.

However, I think today topped the list.

To start off, my grandmother sent our Christmas money and I suggested that we use it to buy a new kitchen faucet. Saturday, I went and stood in front of the faucet section just staring and playing with knobs and looking going back and forth between which one I'd rather have. After 45 minutes, I came home with a very nice pull-out faucet. On the same aisle were the kitchen sinks. Our sink worked completely fine, so there was really no "need" to get a new sink. It just had not been taken very good care of and had scratches, paint, and stains all inside of it. But, (of course, there's always a but, right?!) there was a beautiful black granite composite sink that was on sale. I always thought if I got a new sink, I'd get black. Unfortunately, I'd been told that black sinks usually chip and can crack. Well, not the granite composite! the whole thing is one solid material, so it doesn't chip off and turn white and such. It's the new up and coming material to have for your sink. When I got home, I started doing research on these new sinks.

The next day, I just mentioned it to Brad to see what he thought. He agreed to go look at it with me. After further investigation, the sale sink was damaged. But, he started looking around and we decided we'd go see what other sinks we could find elsewhere. We went to a couple of places, with no luck, but then just decided to stop in at Lowe's to see their selection. And low and behold, their prices are very reasonable, and just about the same price as the sink that was on sale!

And then we had it. The sink came out of the kitchen Sunday night and the plan was to install a new one. We got up and started our journey at Lowe's at about 11:00 am. We had made a list of all of the things we needed, and we were good to go. We had to make a few changes to our selections, but overall, we had everything we needed on the list.

We got home, and started putting things together. And we run into the first problem. The existing garbage disposal is having problems connecting to the new flange (that's the drain thing in the sink on the disposal side). So, we decided to take it back and go look for another product they had. We didn't have any luck, so we decided to go to a different store. We get there, and find out the product we're looking for is most likely discontinued, and the best option is to buy a new disposal. So, we buy a new disposal. (Mind you, our other disposal worked just fine when connected to the old sink.) We make it back home and install the new disposal. It was a success.

Then, Brad fixes up all of the plumbing underneath and realizes with the new drain configuration (the drains are farther back in the sink), we needed new connections for the faucet and water valve as well as a strainer. We show up, get the water lines and check out. As we drive off, Brad realizes we forgot the strainer! We turn around. Trip # 5. We get the strainer. After we install the water lines and strainer, Brad realizes we need a little more PVC pipe to get everything connected in the right spot. (He had initially thought he could cut up the existing pieces to be the right size for the new configuration, but it was off slightly. Trip #6. PVC pipe is too big. Trip #7. Lowe's didn't have the size he needed, so he tries to be creative. Creativity did not pay off in this instance. Trip #8 (new store). Find the size and shape we need. Still doesn't work perfectly, but it's good enough to figure something out.

By the time we finish installing and checking everything, it ends up being 9:45. Nearly 11 hours. All because I thought it would be nice to have a black sink.

It's beautiful. I love the way it looks. And I'm glad to have a husband who will indulge on my little ideas. :)

(I'd take a picture, but after dropping my camera a few months ago, it's been really messed up and just isn't the same anymore. So, maybe if we get a new camera for Christmas, I can take a picture for you!)

Do you think, on average, people that start DIY projects return to the store multiple times in one day?? Or is that just us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we remodeled our kitchen, we lived at Lowe's. It's not a true DIY project unless you've been to the hardware store multiple times!