Sunday, November 21, 2010

On to Round 2

Well, still not pregnant.

I had a feeling I wasn't, but the test at home on Friday confirmed it. 

Friday was rough. On occasion, I teared up for no apparent reason.  I was a wreck before school.  I think because I was set up to be more successful, and it STILL didn't work, which made it much harder. 

The coaches at my school have been very understanding, and I let them know just so they wouldn't ask, and they just kindly suggested I needed to bring my kids outside with the rest of the PE kids in the afternoon.  So, I did exactly that, and had lots of useless, distracting conversations with them.  I'm lucky to have such wonderful men to work with that are praying for me and understanding a little of what's going on. 

I'm doing okay now.  I talked with my doctor about the next cycle.  She said it's still possible that I could get a positive this weekend, but chances are I won't.  I had to start on progesterone supplements on Wednesday because my progesterone levels were by far the lowest they had EVER been, which is not good.  So, I will continue the progesterone for the weekend, test Monday morning, if it's still negative, I'll stop the progesterone and I should start my next cycle in a few days.  Luckily, my doctor is not making me take a rest cycle quite yet.  We're going to do the same for the next month, with another IUI when I have follicles that are decent.  I am definitely going to push for more than one follicle this time.  I understand that's a risk for multiples, but it's also a better chance of it working. 

I've been doing some research lately, and here's what I've found: 
  • The majority of PCOS women have to have an average of 3 IUIs before they are successful
  • Most doctors stimulate follicles until there are 3-5 good ones, then give the HCG trigger shot
  • Most PCOS women have extremely low progesterone, and have to take progesterone supplements all the way through pregnancy
So, I think this is all very positive.  Like I said, I'm going to push for more than the one follicle this time.  The pregnancy rates for IUIs with more good follicles goes up tremendously (from 8% to 20%)  so, I'm going to talk to her once I start going back in for follicle monitoring to see what she thinks.

So, here we go.  Round 2, here we come!  :)

'The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.'  - Psalm 28:7

No comments: